Monday, May 04, 2009

Hunstanton, low tide

low tide in Hunstanton

I first saw a real low tide in Scarborough, on a really hot summer day. Before that my seaside experiences where mostly with Black Sea (no tides as such, warm swimable water), so I naively thought that I would be able to swim there.

Water was relatively high what we came there. I bravely waded in (ankle-high, knee-high) and started walking into (I assumed) deeper water. I walked and I walked and it stayed knee-deep. I turned around. Water edge was moving the same way as me and was close behind. As a bonus, in the distance I saw Kirill, dying of laughter. I never before saw so much sea bottom exposed by low tide.

Low tide on The Wash (above) is even more impressive, but it doesn't cause such surprise as that first even encounter in Scarborough

No comments: