Saturday, May 14, 2011

knit fast, die warm


Couple of days ago a lady electrician came to check wiring and fitting in our house. She noticed that I have a stash of knitting yarns (I readily admit to compulsive yarn-buying, me) and mentioned a wool shop in Saffron Walden. It happened to be in one of the nooks you hardly go to, unless you have a specific place in mind - a passage between King Street and High Street where Mocha cafe is. It doesn't even show on the googlemap as a separate track.

Of course I felt I must go check it out, and today I did. The motto "Knit fast, die warm" was on a blackboard outside. The shop is small and cute, with a lot of interesting yarns, considering the available space. For example, the blue ruffle scarf is made of a pre-kitted strip of loose netting, which you crochet tightly on on side. I never seen one of those yarns before, and spent a minute trying to imagine how much time it must have taken to knit that much ruffle in what looks like a very fine yarn (came up with "an awful lot" figure ). With that strip thing, you can make two scarves a day, if you feel so inclined :)




And this is recycled sari silk, and there was recycled bamboo with nice lustre to it, and felted knitted bags (I had to really stop myself) and lots of other stuff. Timur was especially impressed with sort of thin plastic tubing which you can make into purse or a bracelet - and it will glow in the dark. I suspect that we will have to come there again specifically for that.

Did I buy something? Sure I did. Couple of balls of cotton-bamboo mix, nice goldish-yellow color. No idea what I will do with it, but I just had to buy something.


And here's Cassie, under umbrella just in case. We didn't have any noticeable amount of rain here for a goodish while, but better safe'n sorry

No comments: