Thursday, November 15, 2012

Flowers finally :)

I was waiting and checking, waiting and checking, and the flowers finally appeared. It’s not what you may call a field of flowers, but you can see patches of those small white ones on the edge of the dunes, in that place I went to check on the greenery last time.

Of course, I didn’t know what they were. And once again, I was impressed by the power of Facebook. I sent a message here and received my answer the same day. I don’t know who maintains this FB page (author of the book, maybe), but whoever it is, thank you once again.

It’s Androcymbium psammophilum, a “vulnerable species” due to restricted habitat, only found on Fuerteventura and Lanzarote. The number of plants that appear each year differs greatly and depends on the amount of rainfall. I feel absurdly proud that I spotted them :)

References
http://www.floradecanarias.com/androcymbium_psammophilum.html
http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/162355/0

I just had a chat with a friend who was coming here for winters for 25 years or so. She knows the places where there are likely to be fields of flowers eventually. I am looking forward to it so very much.

Oh yeah, last year everybody kept promising me flowers too. Difference is that this year we’ll probably get them, we were having fair bit of rain recently.

Thank you, benevolent universe, for the recent rains.

Pictures of dunes of Corralejo on Shutterstock — here.

No comments: