Monday, April 25, 2016

Caldera de Tejeda in April: Flowers

Erysimum albescens, "wallflower" endemic to Gran Canaria
It is extremely rare not to see at least something flowering in Las Cumbres, The Peaks of Gran Canaria. But I figure from two-year observation that the maximum of flowering falls onto beginning - mid April. This year I missed the moment, due to this and that, but when I finally got there there was still plenty of flowers for me to look at and photograph.

Once of Cruz de Tejeda, you don't have to go far to get to the place where on a small spot you will find everything on the photographs below - and more. I hesitate to enclose ALL the pics I took. Head towards Roque Nublo, (signposted Llanos de la Pez). About a kilometer away, you will see a house surrounded by a fence. There is usually a couple of big dogs there. One of them, the friendly while totally huge newfoundland dog, occasionally hangs out *outside* of the fence. Don't be alarmed, he is a gentle soul. The area around the house is relatively flat, rare thing in those parts. Poke around a little. There is a lot of yellow Teline broom and lilac crucifer Erysimum- complementary color combination, really striking. Less showy flowers and plants are found in plenty on the same spot.

I am always interested to find out the correct names of the plants (and not only plants), and I make my best effort identifying them. Sometimes I fail, of course. So if you know for sure what plants are called and spot a mistake, please yell me. 

Enjoy :)




Sideritis dasygnaphala, Gran Canaria mountain tea, aromatic herb. Apparently has a lot of beneficial properties. Next time I am there, I might want to collect some

Erysimum albescens (lilac) and Teline microphylla (yellow)
 Flowering Convolvulus althaeoides macro
Raphanus raphanistrum, wild radish


Leopoldia comosa, tassel hyacinth. Their cute tassels remind me of the crest feathers in "For the Birds" animation short
Not sure. Sonchus, probably, or maybe Andryala integrifolia

 Ranunculus cortusifolius. Looks like normal buttercup, but you should see the size of the plant and inflorescence

Pallenis spinosa

 Flowering Trifolium arvense, hare's-foot clover
Flora of Gran Canaria on shutterstock

No comments: